Top 10 Health Benefits of Fruit Juices
If you cannot eat it; then squeeze it and drink up!!!
Out of a mind boggling 4 lac (approx.) known species of plants, there are at least 100-200 species of edible plants. Out of these, we have 15 major species of plants that are consumed by human beings globally. Further there are 100 plus popular fruit species that are popular across the world, depending on where they are grown and their availability.
Fruit juices are a popular beverage in recent times. The Indian juice consumption market is valued at USD 200 million and is expected to grow at 15% over the next 3 years. Globally the European Union leads the juice consumption with an annual consumption of 9187 million litres; per capita consumption of 17.9 lts. per person.
Interestingly, the word “juice” was first created by the Old French way back in 1300. It was initially called “jus” meaning liquid obtained by boiling herbs. The word “jus” evolved by the early 14th century and is what we know today as “juice” meaning watery part of fruits and vegetables.
The world's first known regularly produced juice was the lemonade. It appears that Italy used to import the same from the Middle East in the 16th century. Orange juice originated in the 17th century. Orange juices quickly gained popularity especially because it was packed with Vitamin C and helped prevent diseases like Scurvy. The initial bottleneck in using fruit juices for long period of time was the inability to prevent them from spoilage. A pasteurization method was developed in 1869 from a dentist by the named Thomas B Welch, that allowed storage of fruit juices without their fermentation into alcohol.
Fruit juices are popular because they come with abundant benefits.
1. Primarily, they help hydrate the body.
2. Juices are more palatable. For instance fruits like Sweet lime, Lime, grapefruit make great fruit juices but cannot be eaten raw easily.
3. Fruit juices are packed with vitamins and minerals. Eg : An 8 ounce or 240 ml of Orange juice contains 67% of the daily recommended intake of Vitamin C. It also has a substantial recommended dosage of minerals like Folate, Potassium & Magnesium
4. Fuit juices are lower in calories ( unless we add in extra sugar)
5. Fruit juices are high in antioxidants
6. Fruit juices reduce inflammation
7. Fruit juices help prevent kidney stones
8. Fruit juices help in detoxification of the body and improves general wellness
9. Fruit juices are known to make skin healthy and glowing
10. Fruit juices help prevent cancer. Eg : Carrot juice, Pomogrenate juice, Orange juice are known to be rich in anti-oxidants and phytochemicals that help lower cancer risk.
The recommended intake of fresh fruit daily is 150 ml of unsweetened Fruit juice, according to Britich Nutrition foundation.
We can safely conclude that Fruit juices are another mode of taking in Fruits & when taken with little sugar or sweetened with natural sweeteners like honey make it a nutrition packed drink.
So the next time you don’t like to eat a fruit; use the healthy alternative of juicing it up & gulping it down! This way you won’t miss out on your nutrition in-take.